Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Toggle Tuesday: Pearlized


Now here's something I'm excited to explain. These are vintage toggles from the 1920's made of espresso brown and bright cherry red Bakelite. What's so special about them is the precision-cut slices of faux mother-of-pearl at the ends of these old buttons. The material used to imitate the pearlized appearance is actually a treated type of celluloid, which brings me to my next point...

Someone asked me recently, "What are your all-time favorite Bakelite buttons in your collection?" Obviously, that's an impossible question to answer for someone like me because I love such a huge variety of styles. But I do have to admit that I'm especially crazy about Bakelite buttons that feature an additional type of plastic.  These toggles are a perfect example with their Bakelite bodies and snippets of celluloid embellishments.

Once upon a time, on this blog, I posted a whole week of buttons that combine Bakelite with other varieties of plasticsuch as  celluloid and casein. It was one of my favorite weeks ever on this blog, spotlighting some highly unusual buttons that probably belong in a museum of retro fashions worthy of expert preservation. Scroll back to the last week of April 2017 (last year) and you'll see the week I'm referring to. But here's what I'm getting at:

Before the end of this month, I'll be posting more never-seen-before buttons made of Bakelite and a non-Bakelite element. Plastic meets plastic! These are among my most fun and bizarre buttons and they promise to be extraordinary. So check back and be sure to view these hybrid-oddities later this month in October. They are truly some of the quirkiest buttons I've ever met. Just you wait!

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment