Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The (really odd) Oddball


Here's Day Two of my week-long exploration of combo-plastic buttons and this one's a curious zinger indeed. The main bulk of this spherical weirdo is apple juice Bakelite, but check out that mysterious top layer. That's marbled celluloid in brown and cream. Isn't it luscious and bizarre? In my view it resembles an elaborate frostingbound for a French pastry. As an added touch, the AJ Bakelite is enhanced with two rows of carved spots, forming a truly exotic orb like nothing I've ever seen. Size-wise, this ball button measures less than an inch across. To get a strong and detailed image, I zoomed in with my camera to capture the strange features on display here. Circa 1940.

Visit Doreen's online store:
BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment