Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Glitter Wowzer


No, you are not dreaming. This incredible button actually exists. I've owned this glimmering baby for about a year now and I'm still starstruck by such an incredible find. Another button I purchased from my friend, Doreen. She obtained this stunning beauty somewhere on her travels and what a royal godsend! I'm amazed that it's actually come into my possession. The transparent segments of the button are apple juice Bakelite infused with glitter. The bright yellow, ringed section did not test positive for Bakelite because it's caseinanother type of early plastic that's often referred to by its commercial name, Galalith (Greek for milkstone). Famed fashion designer, Coco Chanel, was a known proponent of using Galalith in her buttons and jewelry designs; and I've yet to confirm this, but I highly suspect that this might be an early Chanel button with the yellow rings providing a strong semblance to the Chanel logo that still appears on the brand's product lines to this day. Otherwise, the button may have been designed by Jakob Bengel or Auguste Bonaz who both experimented with Galalith and avant-garde/art deco styles between 1924 and 1939. In my ongoing research I've studied the catalogued pieces created by these trendsetters and in my opinion their uniquely detailed work also has the qualities of this button. Large in size and likely patterned for a coat, this outstanding discovery is one of my all-time favorite fashion remnantslikely going back to around 1930. In vogue then and still a wildly chic reminder of a glamorous olden day.

Visit Doreen's online store:
BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment