Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Lemon Bakelite


Brought to my attention earlier this year, my friend Doreen contacted me with the news of finding this magnificent lemon-yellow button that tested positive for Bakelite. Since Doreen sells buttons, aside from collecting them, she sold me this lemony wonder and I've been marveling at it since back in February. Aside from the highly infrequent color (bright lemon Bakelite is a true rarity), it sports a dramatic carving in the shape of an art deco sunrise or a stylized burst of rays. Angled in the light, you can see the voguish effect, which harks back to the architectural designs of the 1920's and 30's. It reminds me of a show-biz halo set behind an olden-day movie siren. Lemony and miraculous.

Visit Doreen's online store:
BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment