Friday, June 26, 2020

Painted Bakelite


People ask me which button in my collection is my favorite and I rarely have an answer. It's tough to decide because they're all so different and unique, but this button might be the chosen one if I really had to pick a favorite. Purchased last year from my friend Doreen, this is a simple Bakelite square in creamed corn with a painting set in the etched design of flowers stemming off of a leafy branch. The childlike simplicity of the painting almost looks like a prairie scene as illustrated in a Depression-era picture book. I've given this button a thorough examination and it possesses all the hallmarks of a good luck charm. There's a rustic dreaminess here that goes back many decades, making this a true American antique. My love of Bakelite is summarized in the sweetness of this old humdinger.

Visit Doreen's online store:

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment