Saturday, February 9, 2019

Rootbeer Goblins


What on Earth do we have here? These spacey freaks are made of rootbeer Bakelite and they are some of the weirdest buttons I've ever seen. Big round coat buttons, they're bursting with knobbly carbuncles as if infected by the rarely seen Jupiter flu. Notice the patina resting down in the spaces between the bumpy protrusions. I thought I'd have to dig some of that up, but the patina actually highlights the buttons nicely. (To view a button similar to these rootbeer goblins, scroll back to the button I featured on January 18, 2017. It's a greenish and less jagged variety of these anomalous finds). Likely going back to the 1930's, these are among my favorite rootbeers. Outrageous oddballs to the max!

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment