Monday, December 10, 2018

Bowls of Bakelite!


Purchased ages ago at an antique shop in New York City on 34th Street, here we have three HUGE Bakelite buttons in the shapes of gaping bowls. I call them Sally Bowles. Get it? Anyway, the color is a bright creamed corn (almost custard yellow) and what's really unique about these showstoppers is the enamel dots traveling along the rims. Each button is peppered with 24 of these decimal points for a smart and tidy effect that I've never seen before on a Bakelite button. In other words, these are the only buttons in my collection that feature enamel trimming. Aren't they something? I don't have a clue how the enamel was adhered to the Bakelite, but nary a dot is absent and they all seem tightly fastened. I've posted bowl buttons before, but these are the absolute tops. From the 1930's.

-Sherbert McGee 

No comments:

Post a Comment