Tuesday, December 18, 2018

ART NOUVEAU: Gladiator


One of the truly most powerful buttons in my collection, this major hunk of thunder looks like something out of Greek mythologymaybe even a replica of the shield Perseus used to defend himself against Medusa. I'm posting Art Nouveau buttons this week and this mighty specimen is one of the most outrageous. Eclipsing the Bakelite, a brass escutcheon has erupted in swarthy blisters surrounding a jaundiced bead. Notice the detail in the metal, and the crown-like prongs encircling the pale stone. There might not be a more manly button in all the land with its warlike fortitude and rugged emanations. I look at this button and I see Vikings and pirates and Scottish battalions. I love anything that's as beautiful as it is hideous and this button hangs evenly within that contradiction. 

Visit Doreen's online store:
BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC


-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment