Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Checkered Wowzer

My friend Doreen sold me this button a few years ago and I've got to say it's one of the most SPECTACULAR buttons I've ever seen. Sixty-four pieces of Bakelite comprise this checkerboard button. Count them! That's a whopping 64 pieces of yellow and maroon Bakeliteall fitted together to form this masterpiece of extraordinary craftsmanship. This is a large button, likely made in the 1930's or 40's. The work that went into a simple button back then is astounding compared to the chintzy, run-of-the-mill  buttons we see today. If there was ever a button that illustrates the ornate style of last century's bygone fashions, here it is. A grand harlequin of Jazz-Age flair.

BONUS BUTTONS: Here's another pair of two-tone buttons that I thought I'd share today. The button to the left is an art deco zinger made of apple juice Bakelite that was cut diagonally after a sinfully bright piece of red Bakelite was added to the top. The angularities of the cut designs give this button a vogue splash that honors the glamour of 1920's flamboyance. Can't you just imagine a juicy row of these buttons on the blouse of Tallulah Bankhead or some other actress in the 1930's? The button to the right reminds me of a bell. An orange Bakelite ball dangles under a Bakelite arch. If this isn't a button it may very well be a charm from a larger piece of jewelry, such as a necklace.

BONUS BUTTONS II: More buttons! This assortment is too delicious and I'm totally spellbound by every piece. The apple juice square might be my favorite with striped carvings beneath each of the pointy corners. What a hoot! The rectangular button is orange with a carved leaf design that was filled in with turquoise paint. That's turquoise on orange and what a color combo! The green toggles remind me of stubby toadstools and they exude positive vibes. Lastly, the burgundy button sports a fantastic carving of a flower and leaves. All of these buttons are made of Bakelite and they all hark back to the 1920's/1930s's. I love the saturated colors and the hearty juju of genuine Bakelite.

Visit Doreen's online store:

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment