Friday, October 30, 2020

1,000 Days of Buttons!

This fabled mustang is one of the Holy Grails of Bakelite buttons. Once upon a time, my hunt for this button could not be tamed. For many years I searched for it until this one finally found its way into the stable of my safekeeping. A fantastic example of old-time plastic, this sought-after superstar has been featured in books on Art Deco and Bakelite. For me it epitomizes the ostentatious world of the 1920's and 1930's like no other button. A butterscotch horse profile resting in a rootbeer dish, it's got loads of style, scads of charm, a beautifully buttery color and that special Bakelite panache that is indescribable. The art deco horse head: Legendary! And on that note, here's to the end of an era. Consider this debonair horse a last hurrah and a grand finale. This button concludes my blog.

Since 2015 I have I enjoyed this hobby of photographing buttons and uploading them for the world to see. While I would love to keep going, the time has come for me to pursue other projects. Today marks my 1,000th post and I'm ready to move on. A special thank you to my good friend Doreen for being my #1 button supplier and co-adventurer in the pursuit of vintage buttons. Thank you also to the staff of River Market Antiques in Kansas City, and to the National Button Society. It would be remiss of me not to express my gratitude to Leo Baekeland, the chemist who invented Bakelite in 1907 at his laboratory in Yonkers, New York. Last of all, thank you to all who have followed my blog over the years. For better or worse, I leave it now to the unknown fate of the internet. 

Visit Doreen's online store:

And that's a wrap!
-Sherbert McGee 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherbert,

    Came across your blog by accident - What a wonderful one. I love the Art Deco period and Bakelite as well. Art Deco period have a note of objet d’art and elegance! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. Wish I could have as much verve as you have in English! You're colorful in your story telling, deeply passionate - no doubt and you left a commensurate legacy to the Internet community.

    In 2021, let's cherish each moment it's behold.

    Sylvie

    ReplyDelete