Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Great (glittering) Gatsby


It's been over four years since the 2013 version of The Great Gatsby was released in theaters nationwide. I'd been looking forward to the movie for a long time since the novel is my favorite book and I'm a devoted fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary summation of the Jazz Age. A week before the movie came out, I'd made up my mind to hit all the antique shops I could find in Long Island and that's when I chanced on this major zingera literal jamboree of apple juice Bakelite with a thick red stripe lumped between a galaxy of glitter. Massive and celebratory, the button encapsulates one of Jay Gatsby's over-the-top shebangs in the fictional town of West Egg. A surviving token from last century's legendary era of excess, this mega-sparkler is my one and only Great Gatsby button.

-Sherbert McGee


It was one of those rare smiles 
with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, 
that you may come across four or five times in life.”
 ―F. Scott Fitzgerlad, The Great Gatsby

No comments:

Post a Comment