Friday, August 25, 2017

La Chocolaterie


La chocolaterie is French for "the chocolate factory" or "the place that sells chocolate" and here's a handful of Bakelite buttons that warrant this bit of trivia. According to my blog's tracking system, the second largest portion of my worldwide audience is France. So these buttons are for you, Gaspard and Heloise. The round buttons pictured here could literally pass for malted milk balls. (Whoppers, anyone?) To keep them from rolling, I stuck them down with bits of chewed bubble-gum. The flat button is more of a Hershey-shaped confection. It was discovered by my sister in Arizona who was able to determine that it is indeed Bakelite by giving it the sniff-test. Most antique dealers don't mind if you smell the goods, but sometimes you do have to ask for permission or you could get ejected from a place. (This has never happened to me.) At any rate, my thoughtful nephew sent me this chocolatey square earlier this month and I've been eager to post it to my blog. And that concludes this humble assortment of Bakelite delights. Merci beaucoup.

-Sherbert McGee    

No comments:

Post a Comment