Monday, November 9, 2015

The Art Deco Horse Head: Legendary!


This fabled yellow mustang is one of the Holy Grails of Bakelite buttons. Once upon a time, my hunt for this button could not be tamed. I searched for it for years until this one found its way into the stable of my safekeeping. More than just a dandy sample of old-time plastic, I've seen this sought-after superstar in books on Art Deco. For me, it epitomizes the Bakelite world of the 1920's like nothing else. A butterscotch horse profile resting in an apple juice dish, it measures two inches across and oozes a rich, vintage panache. This button is extraordinary!

-Sherbert McGee        

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous buttons... it also looks like it is set in a celluloid backing...very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should have looked at link first...lol... no celluloid

    ReplyDelete