Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Bakelite+Glass


The combination of Bakelite and glass is a covetous blend and a guaranteed rarity. In my large collection of Bakelite I only own two buttons that showcase Bakelite with glass. Last year I posted one of them and today I'm posting the other. Today's post is a large black button with a silvery glass escutcheon that resembles a hodgepodge of coins all piled up in a wishing well. Notice that the escutcheon is a hexagonal piece of glass wedged into a circular cutout and that the Bakelite is carved twelve times going around the glass midsection. At a glance, this buttons looks somewhat straightforward; but it's a deceptively intricate piece of work. To see my other Bakelite+glass button, scroll back to March 26, 2018 and brace yourself because it's a wowzer. c. 1940.

Visit Doreen's online store:
BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC        

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment