Saturday, June 30, 2018

Roman Reds


Last summer in June I posted a whole week of nautical-themed buttons in the shapes of fish, boats, seashells and anchors. This set of buttons was an option at the time, but I decided to save these for another day. Voila! Today's the day. Red Bakelite provides the backing for three brass escutcheons in the shapes of Italianate shells. Every time I look at these buttons I think of a sightseeing trip I experienced several years ago in Rome. While there, I could've spent the entire day staring at the baroque grandeur of Trevi Fountainas featured in the films La Dolce Vita and Roman Holiday. The fountain is a limestone valentine to the lavish glory of Roman architecture and a must-see in the world of European art, but this isn't a travel blog, is it? Back to the buttons: With their old-world flourishes and a slightly tarnished maturity, these beauties remind me of the aforementioned, watery masterpiece. Plus, I absolutely love their cherry red gleam. At any rate, I've been posting buttons all this week with metal elements attached to true and tested Bakelite. This concludes the series.

 



Thank you and arrivederci!
-Sherbert McGee



No comments:

Post a Comment