Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Bamboo Bakelite


Every time I look at these buttons I see a feast for panda bears. The buttons are carved beauties from the 1920's. They're made of creamed corn Bakelite and they're the type of button known as the "double-cut" style since the tops are carved separately from the bottoms in totally different designs that are discernible from the open spaces peeking through the surface. In this case, you can see that the buttons have a spiral shape cut at the bases. Most interestingly, the buttons have additional carvings that remind me of wisps of grass etched along the topsort of an Asian motif. Combined with the Bakelite's earthy tone (reminiscent of wooden plant stalks), I think of these as my bamboo buttons. Owing to the fact that I've yet to see another pair like them, I believe these are rare finds.

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment