Friday, February 23, 2018

The Showstopper


One of my favorite acquisitions, this epic rose from Doreen still makes me swoon. Constructed of apple juice Bakelite and bright emerald green Bakelite, a total of seven pieces (of Bakelite) are glued together to form this two-tone wowzer. Doreen pointed out some tiny air bubbles in the outer rim of the apple juice section and while some persnickety collectors might consider these flaws, me and Doreen see them as enhancements. Style-wise, this button perfectly blends art deco and modernism with the old-fashioned shape of a four-petaled blossom. I love the way the contrasting circles fit together to deliver this bold serving of gorgeous geometry. Large and luscious, this coat button must've been the focal point of some killer attire once upon a time (back in the 1930's if not a decade earlier). Previously only seen in books, this button eluded me for years until Doreen was able to find several of them last year. I've mentioned her countless times on my blog and I'm doing so again: Doreen. Thank you!

Visit Doreen's online store  
Click hereBUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC


-Sherbert McGee

1 comment: