Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Raspberry Rockers...and Twiggy!


Vibrant, nifty, chunky and childish, these Bakelite rocker buttons are the only ones I own in this shade of bright raspberry. Definitive of the differing rocker shapes, this is the half-circle variety that always reminds me of a 1960's-70's fashion bauble with its polka-dot center and hippyish curvature. 

When art deco made a "mod" comeback in the 1960's and 70's, I wouldn't be surprised if Bakelite rocker buttons (from the 1920's and 30's) were part of the inspiration. When I look at old photos of supermodel Twiggy, I see a reincarnation of the vintage flapperreplete with cloche hats, zany togs, sharp-cornered jewelry and oodles of celluloid trinkets imitating Bakelite. The rocker buttons, in particular, look like the key motivators for a retro-plastic fashion revival.

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment