Thursday, July 4, 2019

A Grand Old Flag


For the past three years I've posted star-shaped buttons in celebration of America's Independence Day, but this year I've got a different kind of button to share. And here we have my one and only American flag button! Constructed of creamed corn Bakelite, the button is painted with the requisite red, white and blue to illustrate a handsome banner. A tribute to the USA that likely goes back to the 1930's-1940's, this emblem of the land I love is a dandy fashion statement and a patriotic goodie.

I should add that this is a Martha Sleeper button. Famed designer of trinkets or "gadget jewelry," Martha Sleeper's quirky fashion line was popular throughout the 1930's and 1940's. Her signature buttons are highly collectibleand cost a pretty penny. I will post more about Martha Sleeper at a future date along with my other Martha Sleeper button, which depicts a smiling circus clown.  

Happy 4th of July!
-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment