Thursday, October 5, 2017

Volcanic Freakazoid


My friend, Doreen, contacted me a couple of years ago with the news of discovering this incredible button that I ended up buying from her in a gung-ho heartbeat. I absolutely LOVE this button. Made of two-tone Bakelite, the base is bright cherry red with the topside being black. Etched away at the black Bakelite, a cone-shaped protrusion is emerging in the manner of a volcanic uprising. What's more, the carved section penetrates down to the red base of the button and gives the coned spot a bright lava-like ring. The effect is both spacey and very art decowhich I'm crazy about. That being the case, this button has a science fiction vibe while totally emulating the 1920's. Held up to the sun, you can see how the light hits that circular ring and sets it aglow like a molten halo. Planetary in its unique presentation, this antique button is truly out of this world. I've never seen another one like it.

Visit Doreen's online store
Click here: BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC


-Sherbert McGee 

No comments:

Post a Comment