Thursday, June 4, 2020

Octagonal Orange

Every now and then I like to post an old button on its original card. Some of the olden-day cards are printed with unusual font styles with art deco or art nouveau lettering and/or illustrations and logos that hark back to another world. This bright orange octagon button was not originally attached to this vintage card, but someone thought wisely to staple it hereas it does look striking. The button likely goes back to the 1930's or the early 1940's and I believe the card might be from the same period. The mother and children shown here remind me of characters in a Dick and Jane book. The button tested positive for Bakelite. Its design is as easy as ABC, a smooth doozy made with extra large buttonholes. When I find orange Bakelite I usually buy it on account of its rarity. This button sports a naive shine; and the blue background gives it a breezy context. It's a charming old button on a charming old card. How could I ever resist?

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment