Monday, June 8, 2020

Gibson Girl in Brown



Lady Gibson, at your service! Here she is folks, a mighty Gibson Girl wreathed in yesterday's roses. The escutcheon on this button is brass, sturdily pinned to a generous serving of dark chocolate Bakelite. Years ago, I had this button in my collection and decided to sell it to a fellow-collector since the Bakelite is eclipsed by the brass piece. Bad decision. As soon as I let this button go, I missed Mrs. Gibson terribly. Last year I found the button again for sale through an antique dealer and hence I once again added this matronly beauty to my collection. It's worth mentioning that this is the second of two Gibson Girl buttons I've spotlighted here on my blog. To see the other one, check the "Art Nouveau" label on the upper right-hand corner of my homepage and scroll back a ways. Madame Gibson thanks you.

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment