Saturday, December 30, 2017

Etched Cream Dream Button


Every now and then I discover a button that makes me say to myself: "What did I do to deserve this extraordinary find?" Without question, this is one of those buttonscarved in a rare tone of pale margarine or an illusion of bleached ivory. Whatever the color, it would be an understatement to call this button's hue a shade of creamed corn. Keep in mind, this is a Bakelite button and it might've been white once upon a time before time darkened it to this buttery feast for the eyes. But enough about its color. Look at the bulging folds and the etched lines running through this button in the two opposite corners. Of course, the button geek in me had to count the lines and there are twenty of them, cut evenly with ten on each side for an effect that's both supple and grand. Moreover, this is no dainty piece of plastic. This is a large coat button that dates back to the Roaring Twenties. In all my years as a collector, I've not come across another button like this one. A Bakelite dream button, richly composed and exploding with style. Isn't it marvelous?

-Sherbert McGee   

No comments:

Post a Comment