Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Creamed Spinach to the Rescue!


Brace yourselves, kids. Here's a pair of buttons that nearly knocked the wind out of me when I found them while Bakelite hunting this past summer on one of my Great American road trips. Notice the strange details and peculiar markings. Made of "creamed spinach" Bakelite, these quirky wowzers present finely whipped hurricanes of yellow set in darkish bright green Bakelite for a visual result that seriously flips my brain. What's more, these buttons are double-cut, meaning they're carved in one style on the bottom and another style on the top. See how the upper surfaces are etched-away, revealing the ring-shaped undersides. I reckon these incredible buttons go back to the year 1929. Models of the art deco era, they are truly something else.

-Sherbert McGee    

No comments:

Post a Comment