Monday, April 24, 2017

A Basket Case


I said it was coming and here it is: a whole week of buttons that combine elements of Bakelite with other varieties of plastic, namely celluloid or casein. Getting down to business, today's button is one of my best loved combos. When my friend Doreen found this button during one of her hunts for vintage rarities, she described it to me as a red Bakelite ball with a celluloid collar. Now it's in my collection and I'm amazed that this button even exists on account of its large size and questionable functionality. I can't imagine this slipping easily through a button hole, but that's part of the fun of this major oddity. Flower-like and pristine for its age, it has the appearance of a cherry orb in a plastic basket. A downright crazy button from the 1940's.

Visit Doreen's online store 
Click here: BUTTONS FROM THE ATTIC 


-Sherbert McGee 

No comments:

Post a Comment