Monday, February 11, 2019

A Nod to Bakelite


Fun and spunky, here's a couple of mismatched buttonsBakelite oldiesthat look like they fell straight out of 1929. I'm reading a wonderful book about the history of Jazz Age and Depression-era jewelry, titled All That Glitters by Jody Shields (published in 1987/now out of print) and the author mentions buttons frequently in her expert coverage of flapper trends in both the USA and Europe. Here's a savvy quote from the book that very much belongs on this blog: "Bakelite plastic was the embodiment of the purest form of the modern spirit. The vivid beads, disks and rectangular slabs had no historical referencethey seemed to be crafted by some otherworldly hand." Great insights and so nicely put. Thanks, Jody! I enjoy discovering the shared zeal of another Bakelite admirer. 

Note: The uppermost button in this photo resembles a button I posted last year, but this is a totally separate button. In fact, I thought this button was black until taking this picture. Set in the sunshine, it takes on a dark greenish-blue tinge. I strictly disallow button repeats on my blog, so please know that this is not a mistakenly re-pictured button. I just so happen to have two of these and they are not the same color, although quite similar in bright daylight.  

-Sherbert McGee  

No comments:

Post a Comment