Friday, August 31, 2018

Diamonds in the Spinach


Here's something you don't see every day. With their spherical wads of uncountable rhinestones, these sparkly and unusual buttons are four dashing monarchs of rare ostentation (from the 1930's). The bases are deeply ruffled chunks of creamed spinach Bakelite and these are not petite buttons. They are, in fact, stocky and substantial with enough heft to shock this collector when I discovered them some years ago at an antique plaza in Boston. So deep are those thick Bakelite folds that they do pack more patina than I prefer on my buttons, but I'll get to cleaning them somedayonce I'm done marveling at their spectacular features. Visible in this photo, the top button is corroded with a yellow infection plaguing the metal piece that grips the gemstones. Still and all, this set of four is the grandiose finale of my week-long celebration of Bakelite+bling.   

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment