Monday, October 10, 2016

The King of Thailand


A few years ago I visited Thailand and traveled up and down the country, starting with Phuket and Koh Phi Phi in the south and then onto to Bangkokthe country's capital. From there, I took a bus northward and visited the Sukhothai province and also Chiang Mai, a tropical and vibrant city in the mountainous highlands. Throughout my travels I visited many Buddhist temples giving prominence to traditional Thai architecture with tiered roofs adorned with rows of jagged edges called lamyong. The lamyong are sculpted and blade-like projections, which are distinctly Thai and tremendously exotic. This Bakelite button, a heavily-carved masterpiece in butterscotch, reminds me of the spiky rooftops on the temples that epitomize Thailand.   


-Sherbert McGee    

No comments:

Post a Comment