Friday, April 1, 2016

Cookies: The First Batch


For the entire month of April I'll be posting nothing but Bakelite cookie buttons, starting with today's colorful batch of six. Bakelite cookie buttons are highly collectible and not easy to find (since they go back to the early 1920's). I spot them sometimes in antique shops, almost always behind glass. They can be pretty expensive. At first I didn't think I was up to the task of collecting these, but once I invested in a few of them, I soon became pretty fanatical about the hunt for more cookies. Some cookie buttons are very rare and unusual, but all cookies are a style of Bakelite button that feature two colors, typically with creamed corn as the basis. Get set for gobs of cookies this month. I'm cleaning out my kitchen.

-Sherbert McGee

No comments:

Post a Comment