Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Red Rescue


Usually, I avoid buttons that were previously owned by chain-smokers, but every now and then I'm up for the challenge of scrubbing down a nicotine-infested antique. This striking red square is a case in point. When I first laid eyes on this button I was as awestruck by its brilliant art deco carving as I was appalled by the level of ash that was embedded in its carved-out grooves. Braving the task, I purchased this cancerous baby and went to work on scraping out seven decade's worth of cigarette-related grunge. The project took days of intense elbow grease, but even now I still see some of the blackish residue that I've yet to dislodge. She's a work in progress, but this Bakelite beauty is almost fully restored to her heyday shine.

-Sherbert McGee   

No comments:

Post a Comment